Re: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1

To: davem@xxxxxxxxxx ("David S. Miller")
Subject: Re: [PLEASE-TESTME] Zerocopy networking patch, 2.4.0-1
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:39:15 +0100
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
In article <200101080124.RAA08134@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> I've put a patch up for testing on the kernel.org mirrors:
>
> /pub/linux/kernel/people/davem/zerocopy-2.4.0-1.diff.gz
>
> It provides a framework for zerocopy transmits and delayed
> receive fragment coalescing.  TUX-1.01 uses this framework.

Hi Dave,

don't you think the writepage file operation is rather hackish?
I'd much prefer Ben La Haise's rw_kiovec [1] operation, it is more
generic (supports read and write) and should be easily usable for
zerocopy networking with plain old write (using map_user_kio).
Besides that the FS crew thinks it should go in soon because of
aio anyway...

        Christoph

[1] for those that don't know yet, the prototype is:

        rw_kiovec(struct file * filp, int rw, int nr,
                struct kiobuf ** kiovec, int flags,
                size_t size, loff_t pos);
--
Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.