Re: [patch] NE2000

To: Donald Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch] NE2000
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 19:51:37 -0500
Cc: Paul Gortmaker <p_gortmaker@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Donald Becker wrote:
> > However, the only overriding reason to put dev->name into request_region
> > was for hotplug reasons, because it was otherwise impossible to build an
>
> Most people with multiple network adapters use the same board type.  Seeing
> a list of identical board names isn't very useful when you are trying to do
> something like map interrupt counts to interface statistics.

You're talking about request_irq not request_region here, and
/proc/ioports isn't as "actively useful" as /proc/interrupts.

But you do have a point -- It sounds more informative to have dev->name
in /proc/ioports for the multiple ISA adapters case as well.  Seeing
"3c509" twice in /proc/ioports is not as informative (IMHO) as knowing
that eth0 is at 0x300 and eth1 is at 0x320.  Further, using dev->name in
request_region means that we have consistency with request_irq usage.

The only downside to using dev->name is that some drivers currently
touch the hardware before they have an interface name, but that is not a
real problem at all.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik             | Dinner is ready when
Building 1024           | the smoke alarm goes off.