Re: Protocol specific data in the FIB

To: jleu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Protocol specific data in the FIB
From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 14:01:57 +0200
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 03:18:51AM +0200, James R. Leu wrote:
> For protocols that live somewhere between layer 2 and layer 3 they have some
> unique needs from the layer 3 protocols.
>
> To be specific MPLS needs to store labelling information for each entry in the
> FIB.  If the FIB had a protocol specific field (or set of fields) and a set
> of access functions for these fields then MPLS wouldn't have to be so
> intrusive
> in the FIB code.
>
> I have code that already meets the needs of MPLS but would like to get
> feedback from the list:
>
> -Are there other protocols that could take advantage of protocol specific
>  fields in the FIB?

IPSec.

> -Is this even a good idea?

I think it is, but you usually do not want to access the FIB directly, but
only do it via the destination cache (and hide the setup in rtnetlink)

It wouldn't be that hard to extend the current fib/dst_entry attribute mechanism
to store more information.
For speed you want preallocated positions though, nothing dynamic.

-Andi