Net Connect Detection

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Net Connect Detection
From: <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

I'm working on a small project that requires that I be able to detect a
network card's link status (link light) or some equivalent.  The project
involves extending/rewriting Debian's divine project.

I've looked through the devel kernel tree and I was unable to find any
"hooks" for such a feature.  I was under the impression that network cards
would generate a signal when the interface was down, but perhaps I am
wrong and each vendor deals with this in their own way if it can be
reported at all.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly apprectiate them.
Otherwise, I fear I will have to fall back to something much less
graceful.

Thanks,

Brad Douglas
brad@xxxxxxxxxxx