performance question: delay interrupts

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: performance question: delay interrupts
From: Marcell Gal <cell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:12:42 +0200
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Guys,

Is there any way (for some ethernet drivers at least) to delay
interrupts (eg. with x00 us), so that many packets are serviced in
one go instead of many proc-time-eating interrupts?

Alan Kennington suggested (to me) that there was a way to do this
without
HW support: in case of higher traffic we disable normal interrupts
and do service when timer-expires (this might require raising HZ above
100). (if no frames are coming, or less than a treshold, we can
reenable interrupts).

Alan says the Nicstar ATM card has HW support for [369]00 us INT delay.
Any ethernet cards known to have similar smart features?
Is anything like this configurable for some ethernet drivers, has
anyone done some successful or unsuccessful experiments with this?

thanx:
        Cell
--
"Things are more the way they are now than they have ever been before."
-Former U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower