Re: [patch] IP_FRAG_TIME versus unregister_netdevice

To: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [patch] IP_FRAG_TIME versus unregister_netdevice
From: Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:52:16 +1000
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > The problem is, orphan ipv4 fragments have a reference to
> > the device
>
> It must release this reference. I forgot to do this last step, of course,
> though all the necessary code to make this in self-consitent way was ready.
>
> Any code, queueing packet to process it at an unknown moment in future,
> should release reference to device or hook notifier.
> Protocols do this, defragmenter forgets, I apologise.

So apart from the defragmenter, all the notifiers are currently in place to
hunt down all the skbuffs and release them when a NETDEV_UNREGISTER is
broadcast?

That's pretty damn impressive.

It would be very nice to be able to finish this work off and to get rid of the
sleep altogether.  Are you saying that it's too big/too late to do this for 2.4?