new ipv6 website

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, freesoftware@xxxxxxxxxx, chmouel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-ipv6@xxxxxxxxx, ivano.guardini@xxxxxxxx, consiglio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, patches@xxxxxxxxxxx, andrea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx, ipv6rpm@xxxxxxxxxx, Casper.Dik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gmazzini@xxxxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxxxxxx, wim@xxxxxxx, david.madore@xxxxxx, cmetz@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: new ipv6 website
From: Mauro Tortonesi <mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:56:09 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
i am sending this mail to you to announce the birth of Project6, a new
website which focuses on ipv6 technology from the linux point of view.
the URL is:

http://project6.ferrara.linux.it

the main purpose of our work is to encourage and support the porting of
existing ipv4 applications to ipv6, but it is also our interest to help
the end user to become familiar with ipv6 technology.

although our site is still in phase of development, it has already many
interesting contents.

first of all, we provide patches that add ipv6 support to some popular
networking applications like bsd-finger, netkit-base and tcpdump (tcpdump
already supports ipv6, but glibc lacks of some headers, so if you want
ipv6 support for linux you have to apply our patch - this problem, as the
announce of tcpdump 3.5 on freshmeat states, has already been notified to
tcpdump.org).

moreover, in our effort to fasten the development of a fully ipv6-enabled
linux distribution, we have begun to distribute the RPMS of the basic
networking applications (netkit-base, bsd-finger, tcpdump, libpcap,
net-tools, etc..), expressly built for the linux mandrake 7.1 distribution.

you can get download patches and RPMS from our ftp site:

ftp://ftp.ferrara.linux.it/pub/project6

please, understand that we don't want to become rivals of the Linux
IPv6 RPM project (http://v6rpm.jindai.net - they're doing a great
work) or of any other ipv6-related organization, but we are interested in
developing RPMS for our own use and so we have resolved to distribute them
in the hope that they may be useful to someone else.

here we come to the most interesting part. we are still a small team and
we are looking for contributors (testers, article writers and developers).
if you are interested in helping us, please send me a mail or visit our
website. you will find informations on how to contact us.

thank you for your patience, i hope not to have bothered you too much ;-)

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi                 mauro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ferrara Linux User Group        http://www.ferrara.linux.it
Project6 - IPv6 for Linux       http://project6.ferrara.linux.it