Re: [vortex, eepro100] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT

To: Tres Hofmeister <tres@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [vortex, eepro100] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:40:22 -0400
Cc: netdev <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tres Hofmeister wrote:
>         Indeed.  I'm in the same boat as "Brian."  I've tried everything
> I can think of to keep our web server up.  In the end, it's looking like
> the answer is using watchdog(8) to monitor the Ethernet interface, with
> a repair script which reinitializes it when it fails.  I've currently
> got a NetGear Tulip card in the machine, but I've had problems with
> the vortex and eepro100 drivers as well.

Problems with the Tulip driver nonwithstanding, the NetGear cards are
awful :/  They use an ancient chip design that should have never seen
the light of day in the first place.  You're far better off finding a
better Tulip clone or a using a card w/ a real Tulip chip on it.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              |
Building 1024            | Free beer tomorrow.