Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Jim_March@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:08:30 -0700
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@xxxxxxxxx> on 06/12/2000 10:29:48 AM

Sent by:  Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@xxxxxxxxx>

To:   Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc:   netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jim March/HQ/3Com)

     New "Realm Specific IP" (RSIP) mechanism requires that hosts
     interact with external RSIP gateway (which NAT doesn't need),
     so in my thinking it is similar magnitude thing to IPv4 for
     the kernel stack.  It isn't quite the same task for e.g. user-
     space, which gets most of RSIP handling "free" from kernel.
     Deployment requires a new kernel, of course.

RSIP is coming.  I have been working on an RSIP Host solution for
a while now, and should begin testing by next week.  The solution,
so far, is primarily in User Space, with a small Kernel Module acting
as a conduit between four "shim-points" within the IP stack and the
User Space daemon.  More later when testing progresses...

/Matti Aarnio