RE: 2.4 kernel networking and SMP

To: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: 2.4 kernel networking and SMP
From: jacob avraham <jacoba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:00:30 +0200
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx

> > Can you tell me what level of parallelism do I get from the
> networking
> > layers (forwarding, filtering, NAT),
>
> Infinite one. 8)
>
> Seriously, it depends on network configuration. F.e. if
> router has only
> two interfaces, more than two cpus will do no useful work,
> but simly will break network reordering packets, if you
> did not bind irqs to selected cpus.
>
> Alexey

I'm looking at 4 CPUs and 24 i/f, so I'd like to bind 6 i/fs per CPU.
In an SMP scenario, I can imagine that the net i/f ISRs are working in
parallel
on each CPU, where the end result is (de)queuing packets off the IP layer
queue.
What I'm not clear on is when the IP layer kicks in (I assume not in an
ISR),
is all the code that handles the packet processing (NAT, filters,
forwording)
running on on kernel thread on one CPU, or is this job parallelized as well?