Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 09:38:30 -0700
Cc: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrey Savochkin <saw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rob@xxxxxxxxxxx, buytenh@xxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Gleb> Jes Sorensen wrote:
> >>  You mean all the ones that are practically unused (and the used
> >> ones which should never have been used in the first place: IPX +
> >> AppleTalk).
>
> Gleb> IPV6 and IPX unused?!! Perhaps we should remove all these
> Gleb> protocols from source tree :)
>
> IPv6 is practically unused, IPX and AppleTalk are in use a lot
> but thats very *unfortunate* since they are completely broken.
>
> Jes

So just because you don't see a use for it means everyone else should
be denied the use of it???  Gleb's argument is valid whether or not
IPX exists, because other, so-far-unthought-of, protocols may be
created, and they would have the same problem that IPX would now.

TCP/IP is not the end of the line in network protocols!  At the
very least IPv6 will be extremely important in the near future.

Broad support for almost every protocol known is one of the very
best features of Linux.  Doing anything to make that less true would
make Linux less useful to the rest of us.

Ben

--
Ben Greear (greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)