Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: Andrey Savochkin <saw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:30:01 +0000
Cc: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rob@xxxxxxxxxxx, buytenh@xxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andrey Savochkin wrote:

> Hello Gleb,
>
> On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 07:29:33AM +0000, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> > As Mitchell said, will I be able to run OSPF between VLANs? I actually
> > run zebra ospfd on vlans. Zebra has a strong notion of device. It relies
> > on device up, device done, change ip and other messages from netlink.
>
> I do not know how Zebra works, but the design described by you looks very
> broken at the first glance.  If you run routing managements software on your
> system you should perform all kernel state changes only through this
> software.  Thus, the software do not need any kernel feedback about device/ip
> state except the confirmations of its own commands.

You can do all configuration from zebra and, in fact, that is what you
are expected to do. Zebra has cisco-like CLI: 'shutdown' to shutdown
interface 'no shutdown' enable interface again, and so on. But if
somebody will ever do 'ifconfig eth0 down' outside of the zebra, the
zebra will notice the change and will continue to work properly. I don't
know why this is a bad thing.

Besides, zebra gets current configuration of the kernel via netlink at
startup time.

> > Will I be able to do that if vlan will be implemented not as a device.
> > It looks like vlan will be useless without device interface, at least
> > for me.
>
> If Zebra works as you've told me, try to include their developers into
> the discussion, too.

Zebra and, I suppose, other routing software will need to be changed in
order to support vlans if vlan will be implemented not as regular
interface IMO. I'll ask zebra developer (Kunihiro Ishiguro) what does he
think about supporting vlans in zebra.

--
                        Gleb.