Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 12:16:55 -0700
Cc: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob Walker <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx>, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Gleb Natapov wrote:
>
> > I think that the perfect solution will be to remove tags from frames
> > _only_ if some process actually reads ethernet headers from this vlan
> > device. Any ideas how this can be implemented?
>
> We could detect if there are any packet sockets (something similar to the
> fastroute obstacle detection)?

DHCPd is broken because it uses the BSD (like?) packet filters, at least in
it's default compilation.  I don't think we should break, or overly complicate
the kernel to work around one user-space implementation...  (I know of no other
program that doesn't work with non-coppied VLAN skbs, though they may exist.)

Ben

--
Ben Greear (greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)