Re: modular net drivers

To: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: modular net drivers
From: Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:01:56 +1000
Cc: "netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
In message <3292.961460999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
> It is also an important bug fix.  The module code has suffered from
> unload races ever since the kernel locking became fine grained, users
> can crash the kernel.

Races which can be largely solved at the moment by having the module
page removal code sync all bh's and softirqs after calling cleanup().
Hell, we could even poll all CPUs and check they're not executing in
the about-to-be-freed pages.  Speed is completely unimportant here.

Let's be clear: embedding a struct module *owner in every registerable
structure is the path to bloated insanity.  Other avenues should be
explored.

``A 2.4 Kernel In Our Time!''
Rusty.
--