Re: Tx queueing

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tx queueing
From: Andrey Savochkin <saw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:16:08 +0800
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 08:07:51PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> The Intel e100 driver implicitely documents it in C source. They unfortunately
> use a very ugly method to implement it (own UDP/IP header parsing instead
> of CHECKSUM_HW). I was even porting it to your driver, until I discovered
> that my eepro100 had a far too old chip to implement it (i82557 stepping 1).

Could you share your code?
I would like to implement it finally in the mainstream kernel when I get
time.  Your code may help to save a few brain-cycles :-)

> BTW, newer eepro100 driver versions like to often flood the network
> (collision
> light straight red) with bogus packets. The interrupts triggered
> on the other system on the same segment lead to near solid livelock.
>
> That didn't happen with the older driver in straight 2.2.13.

This problem is known for 2.3.99pre kernels and was fixed about day or two
ago.  I'll send the patch to Linus shortly.
But, if you suffer right now, grab the driver from
ftp://ftp.sw.com.sg/pub/Linux/people/saw/kernel/v2.3/
ftp://ftp.swusa.com/pub/Linux/people/saw/kernel/v2.3/

Best regards
                Andrey