Re: source address selection

To: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: source address selection
From: Yuji Sekiya <sekiya@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:38:03 +0900
Cc: kusune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
At Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:09:31 +0300 (MSK),
kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

> We may make this thing in IPv4 because function inet_select_addr()
> is not in data path; selected source addresses are stored in routing tables.
> Correct solution would cache once found source address
> in IPv6 routing table, probably, cloning route, if it is required.

Hmm... I think what you say is right.
But IMHO, I think that source address selection is more useful in
IPv6 environment than IPv4 environment. Because IPv6 allows us to
assign some IPv6 addresses to one interface, not alias interfaces.
I think we use multi-address or multi-home as ordinary network
environment in IPv6.

If you have no plan to implement source address selection
into IPv4 protocol stack, how about eating kusune's patch
or implementing the feature into IPv6 stack at first ?

Thanks.

P.S.
        if you have any requests about kusune's solution, please
        give us advice. We will improve this patch.

--
SEKIYA Yuji     USC/ISI  Computer Networks Division 7
<sekiya@xxxxxxx / sekiya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx / sekiya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>