128TB filesystem limit?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at sandeen.net
Thu Mar 25 23:35:28 CDT 2010

david at lang.hm wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Dave Chinner wrote:

>> Is there any reason for putting partitions on these block devices?
>> You could just use the block devices without partitions, and that
>> will avoid alignment potential problems....
>
> I would like to raid to auto-assemble and I can't do that without
> partitions, can I

I think you can.... it's not like MD is putting anything in the partition
table; you just give it block devices, I doubt it cares if it's a whole
disk or some partition.

Worth a check anyway ;)

> the next fun thing is figuring out what sort of stride, etc parameters I
> should have used for this filesystem.

mkfs.xfs should suss that out for you automatically based on talking to md;
of course you'd want to configure md to line up well with the hardware
alignment.

-Eric