Message to Stan Hoeppner

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Aug 14 00:21:40 CDT 2010

Michael Monnerie put forth on 8/13/2010 6:00 AM:
> Dear Stan,
>
> <stan at hardwarefreak.com>: host greer.hardwarefreak.com[65.41.216.221]
> said: 550    5.7.1 <mailsrv1.zmi.at[212.69.164.54]>: Client host
> rejected: We do not accept mail from .at domains (in reply to RCPT TO
> command)
>
> I don't know what experiences you've had, but Austria is not that bad.
> We have Mozart, Walzer, the Danube, and Vienna is worlds most beautiful
> city to live in (search "vienna best city in the world" on Google finds
> http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html and others).
>
> Maybe you could rethink that policy? Spam rate is quite low with .at
> domains, compared to others.

Fixed.  Sorry about that Michael.  I had an old pcre that checked the SMTP
client rDNS host name against a bunch of ccTLDs I received spam from some time
ago.  I forgot to disable it when I moved to a much more effective and a bit
more sane anti-spam configuration.  I'm surprised someone such as yourself
hadn't tripped this before now with all the lists I subscribe to.

That said, I do still block some entire countries' IP space using ipdeny.com
info, such as China, Russia, Korea, Malaysia, and a handful of others from
which I'll likely never receive legit mail.  I might from Russia due to some
of my list memberships.

The "Reply-to-list" option in one's MUA is one's friend.  Reply-all causes
rows like this and just duplicates messages needlessly.  There are times when
a reply-all is needed, but usually that's not the case.  Only when non-list
members are CC'd in a thread do I hit the "reply-all" button.

Anyway, enough about mail management and my somewhat draconian anti-spam
policies. ;)

--
Stan