No space left on device on xfs filesystem with 1.6TB free

Owen Dunn osd1000 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 04:33:10 CST 2009

I'm running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2, on a 32-bit i386 Linux
machine with kernel version 2.6.16.60-0.33-smp.  I appear to have version
2.9.4 of xfsprogs.

I have a 6TB xfs filesystem which has been grown twice from 2TB, and which
appears to have 1.6TB and plenty of inodes free.  However, attempts to
create a new file fail with ENOSPC:

sf3:/EXPORT/space # touch splat
touch: cannot touch `splat': No space left on device
sf3:/EXPORT/space # df -h .
/dev/mapper/bigvg-lv1
                       6.0T  4.5T  1.6T  75% /EXPORT/space
sf3:/EXPORT/space # df -ih .
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/bigvg-lv1
                         4.0G    887K    4.0G    1% /EXPORT/space

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?  xfs_check stops straight away
with `out of memory' and xfs_repair stops in Phase 6, presumably when it
finds itself unable to make a new lost+found directory.

Owen