[pcp] PMNS and cpp - RFC

Ken McDonell kenj at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 27 16:24:07 CDT 2011

At the recent PCP developers meeting there was a suggestion to
     1. drop the binary format of the PMNS and
     2. remove our dependence on cpp being installed to pre-process the
        ASCII PMNS before it is parsed.

1. makes sense because the "performance" optimization of the compiled
PMNS was justified long ago when all client apps had to load the full
PMNS from a local copy, but those days are long gone.  Now, outside QA
and some very rare uses, pmcd is the only one to load a PMNS and this
only happens at pmcd start up or when a PMDA is added or dropped.  So
this is a sensible candidate for PCP 4.0.

2. is of a bit more immediate interest as it could be included in PCP
3.x.  I've completed the code in libpcp to do
- #include "file" and #include <file> (from $PCP_VAR_DIR/pmns)
- stripping /* ... */ comments within the line and across lines
- #define macro handling (v. simple linear symbol table)
- macro substitution in the metric name and PMID

But now I've hit an obstacle ... although what is done so far is enough
for the installed PMNS in $PCP_VAR_DIR/pmns/root (which contains no cpp
directives), the components of the PMNS from the various PMDAs (and some
of the QA tests) include all of the above, _plus_
- #ifdef ... #endif
- #ifndef ... #endif
- #undef

Fortunately no one uses #if and I'm not going there!

So now there are a number of options, and it is unclear which to take
and I'd appreciate some feedback.

     A. Continue with the changes to date ... it is only code and not
        too hard ... but it is adding considerable (little used) bloat
        to libpcp
     B. Do A. and then rip all of the code out of libpcp and create our
        own mini-cpp application that is shipped and hidden in
        $PCP_BINADM_DIR
     C. Take an existing cpp with a compatible open source licence and
        bundle that with PCP ... I've looked at the GNU one, but cannot
        easily see how to unbundle it from the morass of the gcc build
        environment.  Another option is mcpp from
        http://mcpp.sourceforge.net/ which builds simply, but I have no
        idea about the quality of the code and it has a BSD-style
        licence.  Are there other options in this category?
     D. Give up and maintain the status quo.

What do you think?