Re: Overwritten partition

To: hallexh@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Overwritten partition
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 06:50:03 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 12:48:05AM +0200, hallexh@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I accidentally overwritten first 40GB of 36TB XFS partition. I ran
> xfs_repair then, which resets the superblocks (I'm sorry i didn't copied
> the output of it) and after I mounted the partition, there was no files.
> Empty file system, but It should be almost 90% full.

SOunds like a case of using inode32 allocator, and losing the entire
inode btree (i.e. the index that tracks allocated inodes) as well as
the root inode, hence there being no way to easily discover and
reconstruct the directory tree at all.

> Am I really screwed or there's a chance to recover the data
> somehow?

disaster recovery tools are your only real hope at this point. go
searching for xfs_irecover as a good starting point for scraping
inodes out of the corpse and hence hopefully being able to
reconstruct some of the directory structure...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner