Re: inode64

To: Jerzy Borkowski <jubork@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: inode64
From: Carlos Maiolino <cmaiolino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 12:05:43 -0300
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

If you use inode64, the inodes will be spread all along the disk. The inode
numbers are created based on its location in the disk, so, if you have a disk
which is larger than 1TB, you can have inode numbers larger than 32bit which you
mentioned.

If you want to keep inodes in the range you mentioned, you must need inode32
options, so no inode will be allocated beyond the 32 bits limit which you
mentioned.

But, since you have a 800GB filesystem, and not a filesystem larger than 1TB,
you can use inode64 and you will still have inodes in the 32bit range, but, if
in any circunstance you grow the filesystem, you'll have inodes being allocated
beyond that.

if you must keep inode allocations in the 32bit range, I suggest you using the
inode32 option, to avoid any future problems in case of a grow of the
filesystem.