Re: xfs_repair fails

To: "Rhorer, Leslie" <Leslie.Rhorer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair fails
From: Brian Foster <bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 08:10:15 -0400
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 03:08:05AM +0000, Rhorer, Leslie wrote:
> kernel 3.16-2-amd64
> xfs_repair  3.2.1
> CPU cores 8

> Mount hangs if attempted

FWIW, I didn't reproduce a mount hang on my test vm running a variant of
the 4.0 kernel.

> The XFS meta dump0 can be found at http://fletchergeek.com/images/metaxfs.gz
>
> RAID-Server:/var/log# xfs_repair -v /dev/md0
> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
>         - reporting progress in intervals of 15 minutes
>         - block cache size set to 395032 entries
> Phase 2 - using internal log
>         - zero log...
> zero_log: head block 8 tail block 8
> ... <after a few minutes>
>         - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
> agi unlinked bucket 38 is 163000358 in ag 31 (inode=133306986534)
> zeroing unused portion of secondary superblock (AG #5)
> Segmentation fault

Thanks for all of the data and the metadump. I could reproduce with
xfsprogs v3.2.2 but not with the very latest build out of my source
tree. It looks like the crash is due to zeroing a 512 byte sized buffer
based on a 4k sector size. This is already fixed in the following
commit:

        8bc43a39 repair: superblock buffers need to be sector sized

... which is available as of v3.2.3-rc1. I'm not sure what/whether
packages might be available with that. You might need to grab the source
to deal with this particular issue:

        https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/xfs/xfsprogs-dev.git/

With that fix, repair gets through and fixes whatever corruption it
finds.

Brian