Re: [ANNOUNCE, DISCUSS] xfsprogs: libxfs-4.1-update branch created

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE, DISCUSS] xfsprogs: libxfs-4.1-update branch created
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 09:48:03 -0500

On 5/10/15 7:05 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Hi folks,

> This userspace update work needs to
> be distributed over the developers making the API and functionality
> changes, so I'm throwing this out there to see what people think
> about solving this problem.

> So, what do the people I'm asking to do more work so I don't have
> to spend so much time on time consuming maintenance tasks think?

I think it makes perfect sense, and I'm happy to do it.  The giant
sync-ups after the fact have never been ideal from any perspective.

I'm glad you brought this up; I don't think anyone ever meant to simply
leave this to the maintainer - it just ended up that way, because the
rules or best practices weren't necessarily clear.

So; do you envision a 0/8 patch series, 4 of which touch libxfs, to
now be a 0/12 patch series, with the userspace bits i.e. at the end?
I'd be perfectly happy with this; once libxfs stays up to date in
userspace, it should be trivial.

- -Eric