Re: SGI Version 1 XFS on Linux

To: "Scott, Edmund J @ SSG - Link" <edmund.scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SGI Version 1 XFS on Linux
From: Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 12:12:22 -0500
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Edmund,

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 03:12:59PM +0000, Scott, Edmund J @ SSG - Link
wrote:
> We have several older SGI hard drives we are trying to recover data
> from. However, since these drives came from an SGI Onyx running IRIX
> 6.2, it uses the older version 1 XFS file system. I can see the SCSI
> drive on my Linux box (CentOS 5.11) and I know data is on the drive, I
> can list out some of the info using dd, cpio or strings, but cannot
> copy the data off of it. I have tried using xfs_copy to a version 2
> XFS partition, but it just converts the target partition to version 1,
> which I cannot mount. I have also looked at xfs_dump/restore,
> but those require mounted filesystems.
>
> Is there any script or program or option I can use to copy the data
> off of the un-mounted SGI XFS partition. I'm guessing some combination
> of the cpio and dd, but I have not figured out the right combination
> yet.

Apparently CentOS 5.11 should be a 2.6.18 kernel.  It looks like it
should still have support for version 1, so I'm surprised you're having
trouble.  Could you provide a little more information?

1) dmesg output when you try to mount the filesystem
2) xfs_info output, e.g.
        xfs_info /dev/sda5
3) hexdump of the superblock, e.g.
        dd if=/dev/sda5 count=1 | hexdump -C