SGI Version 1 XFS on Linux

To: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SGI Version 1 XFS on Linux
From: "Scott, Edmund J @ SSG - Link" <edmund.scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:12:59 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

Hi,

We have several older SGI hard drives we are trying to recover data from. However, since these drives came from an SGI Onyx running IRIX 6.2, it uses the older version 1 XFS file system. I can see the SCSI drive on my Linux box (CentOS 5.11) and I know data is on the drive, I can list out some of the info using dd, cpio or strings, but cannot copy the data off of it. I have tried using xfs_copy to a version 2 XFS partition, but it just converts the target partition to version 1, which I cannot mount. I have also looked at xfs_dump/restore, but those require mounted filesystems.

Is there any script or program or option I can use to copy the data off of the un-mounted SGI XFS partition. I’m guessing some combination of the cpio and dd, but I have not figured out the right combination yet.

Thanks,

Ed