Re: Proposal/RFC: new metadata-specific UUID for V5 supers

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Proposal/RFC: new metadata-specific UUID for V5 supers
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:38:53 -0500
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 4/27/15 9:06 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 4/27/15 8:20 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
>
>> I think that labels are a far better way of dealing with this
>> problem. Get rid of the UUID mount checking (and hence the nouuid
>> mount option), and tell people to use by-label instead of by-uuid to
>> identify their filesystems when doing clones and snapshots. Labels
>> make it much easier for humans to identify the filesystem than
>> UUIDs...
>
> I suppose so.  Withdrawn.  ;)

One more thought.  ;)

It'd be quite possible to keep defaults compatible with old kernels,
and only set the new feature if/when a user requests a UUID change.

If UUID changes are rare, it'll rarely matter; if they are required,
it'll be possible.  I might send a patch just to make the discussion
a bit more concrete.

Thanks,
-Eric