[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [PATCH 19/20] xfs: implement pNFS export operations

To: Jeff Layton <jeff.layton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [PATCH 19/20] xfs: implement pNFS export operations
From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 15:11:54 -0500
Cc: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx>, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Delivered-to: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
In-reply-to: <20150208090942.51e99687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
References: <1421925006-24231-1-git-send-email-hch@xxxxxx> <1421925006-24231-20-git-send-email-hch@xxxxxx> <20150205004758.GO4251@dastard> <20150205070858.GA593@xxxxxx> <20150205135756.GA6386@xxxxxx> <20150206222047.GM12722@dastard> <20150206224258.GJ29783@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <20150208133435.GA27081@xxxxxx> <20150208090942.51e99687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
User-agent: Mutt/1.5.21 (2010-09-15)
On Sun, Feb 08, 2015 at 09:09:42AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 14:34:35 +0100
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 05:42:58PM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > > You'd basically just be pulling my tree (Christoph's is just my nfsd
> > > tree with his patches on top, and I've been testing with exactly that
> > > locally, just putting off pushing it out till we decide this.)
> > > 
> > > So anyway, fine with me if you want to just pull that into the xfs tree.
> > > Mine's ready whenever, so if I send my pull pretty soon after the merge
> > > window and you send it a little later then we still keep the property
> > > that Linus's merge still has a diffstat only in our respective areas.
> > > 
> > > (OK, it's a little more complicated because I've got the same
> > > arrangement with jlayton, so the order is jlayton's lock pull, then my
> > > nfsd pull, then your xfs pull.  Is this getting too complicated?
> > > jlayton and I are both ready to so and I think it'd work.)
> > > 
> > > I'm also fine with duplicating those few patches, or whatever.
> > 
> > Maybe the better idea is to pull the xfs tree in the nfsd tree, but
> > that would require Dave sending an early pull request so that the
> > nfsd pull doesn't get delayed.
> > 
> > Or we just defer the pnfsd merge.  While I tried to get it in in time
> > for 3.20 all the delays during review mean we're really late no and should
> > punt it to 3.21.
> FWIW, I plan to send a pull request for the locking changes as soon as
> the merge window opens. Hopefully that won't be an issue for long...

This includes Christoph's branch (all but the final xfs commits):

        git://linux-nfs.org/~bfields/linux.git for-3.20

That's what I intend to submit.  Hope that's OK.  Then it's up to Dave
whether he wants to pull that in and include the xfs patches.

Worst case we end up with not-yet-usable pnfs code in 3.20, which
wouldn't be ideal but shouldn't cause any serious problem either.


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>