Re: Change sector size on existing partition

To: Dewangga Bachrul Alam <dewanggaba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Change sector size on existing partition
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:44:05 -0600
On 1/23/15 10:26 AM, Dewangga Bachrul Alam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your kind, but I don't know how to reproduce the errors, it
> happens randomly. I try to reproduce on VM but nothing helps, I can't
> create raid array on VM. :)
>
> But, I'm quite sure there is miscalculation or something else that make
> 4k sector size on RAID-10 array.

Well, as Brian mentioned in the other part of the thread, it's the logical
and physical sector sizes that matter.  mkfs.xfs simply acts on what the
device reports (i.e. the --getpbsz value).

If for some reason your RAID-10 array is reporting 4k/4k and you don't expect
that, you'll need to go digging through the block device configuration and
maybe ask questions of those communities, too.

It seems like you have interesting device stacking; use the blockdev command
to check logical & physical sector size at each layer starting at the disk
itself, and work your way up.

-Eric