Re: What is a recommended XFS sector size for hybrid (512e) advanced for

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: What is a recommended XFS sector size for hybrid (512e) advanced format hard drives?
From: Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 12:05:17 -0700
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> however, some drives lie about these sizes, and then mkfs.xfs can't know.
> Try the blockdev command above to see.

blockdev and parted seem to get this wrong for a device for which
smartctl and hdparm get correct

smartctl -a reports:
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
hdparm -I reports:
Logical  Sector size:                   512 bytes
Physical Sector size:                  4096 bytes

parted reports:
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

# blockdev --getss /dev/sdc
512
# blockdev --getpbsz /dev/sdc
512

And thus xfs_info on this device says sectsz=512 since I formatted
with defaults.

--
Chris Murphy