Re: finobt option for end user

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: finobt option for end user
From: Alphazo <alphazo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 23:35:54 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=F2k9WL9OOsgs5SKqtiq/pGpBOq2Akb1zSYr7PzOCvmw=; b=xtC4NYuTswXtHo0HUxYOYvgGzDi11VNEdTeqLa1Zbjb22tVYgQYpHyTa6Baq6BncHh PT2ASbAXtPfy2azA+0saXGH2+tMllmGcnBRnpp1ZZykPvn3nVduHdiuDooP6IsUIpiph xJyaDcy2lWbbg9pXtDjbvoMlKfUgJQbSTiHaeGGR2hVLGhteKLUj1rEQxO1YT4jhvvl/ EfxSSQ/elCn5yh2KWUiK+J0fZK+TlSn9M/C2HPjFlJp1a9AQSX4qt5l99Qky8jM5zTcL s4b7gvg1jEsw9ElRIjukQDg4Dv3rcBgA1tmYAyUPuJeYpu61p7+OJnFP7IQ5+LDLVK5N xEvw==
Thanks Dave and Michael for the very informative answers.

I have updated the official ArchLinux XFS wiki page based upon the information I gathered here so it can benefit to others.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you see any mistake in my overview.

Cheers,
Alphazo

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:52:57PM +0100, Alphazo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to XFS. I'm considering moving away from ext4 to XFS because
> of the new self-describing option, performance and reliability improvements
> that XFS went through over the past year. Now I'm puzzled with the new free
> inode btree option (finobt). I tried to find some documentation about it
> but couldn't find the pros or cons. So from an end-user perspective with a
> couple of TB worth of photos:
> - Does it improve overall reliability?

No effect on reliability, good or bad.

> - Does it provide faster fsck/repair?

No, if anything, it slows it down because there's more metadata to
verify and rebuild.

> - Does it improve any read or write operation?

No.

> - Is it safe to use and does it recover as well as with finobt=0?

Yes and yes.

> - What is the typical case for enabling it

It improves performance on aged filesystems i.e. months or years
down the track when you've added and removed millions of
files to/from the filesystem.

> and would you recommend using it
> for any new fs creation?

Consider the fact that "-m crc=1,finobt=1" will be made the mkfs
default in 3-6 months time - that will probably co-incide with a
xfsprogs 3.3 release....

Cheers,

Dave.
--