Re: weird quota issue

To: "Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [E]" <WeberC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: weird quota issue
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 07:48:57 +1100
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 09:26:12PM +0000, Weber, Charles (NIH/NIA/IRP) [E]
wrote:
> HI everyone, long time xfs/quota user with new server and problem
> hardware is HP BL460 G7 blade, qlogic fiber channel and 3Par 7200 storage
> 3 16TB vols exported from 3Par to server via FC. These are thin volumes, but
> plenty of available backing storage.
>
> Server runs current patched CentOS 6.6
> kernel 2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.x86_64
> xfsprogs 2.1.1-16.el6
> Default mkfs.xfs options for volumes
>
> mount options for logical volumes  home_lv 39TB imap_lv 4.6TB
> /dev/mapper/irphome_vg-home_lv on /home type xfs
> (rw,delaylog,inode64,nobarrier,logbsize=256k,uquota,prjquota)
> /dev/mapper/irphome_vg-imap_lv on /mail type xfs
> (rw,delaylog,inode64,nobarrier,logbsize=256k,uquota,prjquota)
>
> Users are from large AD via winbind set to not enumerate. I saw
> the bug with xfs_quota report not listing winbind defined user
> names. Yes this happens to me.

So just enumerate them by uid. (report -un)

> I can assign project quota to smaller volume. xfs_quota will not
> report it. I cannot assign a project quota to larger volume. I get
> this error: xfs_quota: cannot set limits: Function not
> implemented.

You need to be more specific and document all your quota setup.

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

> xfs_quota -x -c 'report -uh' /mail
> User quota on /mail (/dev/mapper/irphome_vg-imap_lv)
>                         Blocks
> User ID      Used   Soft   Hard Warn/Grace
> ---------- ---------------------------------
> root         2.2G      0      0  00 [------]
>
> [xfs_quota -x -c 'report -uh' /home
>
> nothing is returned
>
> I can set user and project quotas on /mail but cannot see them. I have not
> tested them yet.
> I cannot set user or project quotas on /home.
> At one time I could definitely set usr quotas on /home. I did so and verified
> it worked.
>
> Any ideas what is messed up on the /home volume?

Not without knowing a bunch more about your project quota setup.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner