Re: finobt option for end user

To: Alphazo <alphazo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: finobt option for end user
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:18:53 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:52:57PM +0100, Alphazo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to XFS. I'm considering moving away from ext4 to XFS because
> of the new self-describing option, performance and reliability improvements
> that XFS went through over the past year. Now I'm puzzled with the new free
> inode btree option (finobt). I tried to find some documentation about it
> but couldn't find the pros or cons. So from an end-user perspective with a
> couple of TB worth of photos:
> - Does it improve overall reliability?

No effect on reliability, good or bad.

> - Does it provide faster fsck/repair?

No, if anything, it slows it down because there's more metadata to
verify and rebuild.

> - Does it improve any read or write operation?

No.

> - Is it safe to use and does it recover as well as with finobt=0?

Yes and yes.

> - What is the typical case for enabling it

It improves performance on aged filesystems i.e. months or years
down the track when you've added and removed millions of
files to/from the filesystem.

> and would you recommend using it
> for any new fs creation?

Consider the fact that "-m crc=1,finobt=1" will be made the mkfs
default in 3-6 months time - that will probably co-incide with a
xfsprogs 3.3 release....

Cheers,

Dave.
--