finobt option for end user

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: finobt option for end user
From: Alphazo <alphazo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 23:52:57 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=rvJuQqKMvsgf90UqW4VtQ8xQqu10bGfHlO5E+STu4D4=; b=HDOOgNcjA/orMiAF8utAkeNg3IpwzgLfA19SEOxC+B8bBH4ua5T8WUAhHfzJrD3LAZ 4lIDt8Uz7fEfeYHAJV3ht+T9cs+bT0lBzGl2qhC7H98Koit2dIACY8ryHwecLAHQ82r9 BvXGgzkLcLqrTbAGjEi/YUsYDTFrjsoYKS5LWHgFt0TyMbptA+JniVE5jAXhdrPEr/Rd 1SR3G5hiwELTQ2RVwOirmMIRSvViQMHBGXxo/zhp8Ucjvfhg5JYRyUg92btk3mR5ImKD iWXUNT7grM1TXuSk7mRC6QrJ2cTysXXiFoiqMVWrqfUmnfmF80ATnyiNZ2xWajnw6Iv/ 4J0Q==
Hello,

I'm pretty new to XFS. I'm considering moving away from ext4 to XFS because of the new self-describing option, performance and reliability improvements that XFS went through over the past year. Now I'm puzzled with the new free inode btree option (finobt). I tried to find some documentation about it but couldn't find the pros or cons. So from an end-user perspective with a couple of TB worth of photos:
- Does it improve overall reliability?
- Does it provide faster fsck/repair?
- Does it improve any read or write operation?
- Is it safe to use and does it recover as well as with finobt=0?
- What is the typical case for enabling it and would you recommend using it for any new fs creation?

Thank you in advance for your pointers.
Alphazo