Re: Disconnected inodes after test xfs/261

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Disconnected inodes after test xfs/261
From: "Michael L. Semon" <mlsemon35@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 19:46:17 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject :references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=CpLmuYFbl0OhN0JpOrNN36DffLK4A71dHQ8QBu2RPio=; b=ri1cc/Mb05z6l1Pdlo6NNixlJyopxvoI6q5ybDxL3sf4eXvaDjjpLHOccIk1Y63uLM zr1u+qY2eIvYA7YtmAbmXr9sm53AnIoQ5BYDB5oz7doyqddd3p+Q4FCGY4srmrYFmWJe E+zuxbWVaSiJ9iyWOfpsB9IptyvzdpfnMRvO1++FgxWplPHcZGV/iMBe8v4yJlR6I/c2 N2aHI1fIfrgB1lo7WeWxrQWUKaNmVxNT0bXDNizWNfIPmJbbPm2WmuAq17mZegap3tfo 66cRStGTLjI4XdfG5eRuz+KDyoeL+ty4QQn6Nv22PiF87ZbjI3NBzTWoCzyXLA/oMLu+ 0lLg==
On 12/17/14 16:02, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 08:35:35PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
>>   Hello,
>>
>>   in my test KVM with today's Linus' kernel I'm getting xfs_repair
>> complaint about disconnected inodes after the test xfs/261 finishes
>> (with success). xfs_repair output is like:
>> xfs_repair -n /dev/vdb2
>> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
>> Phase 2 - using internal log
>>         - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
>>         - found root inode chunk
>> Phase 3 - for each AG...
>>         - scan (but don't clear) agi unlinked lists...
>>         - process known inodes and perform inode discovery...
>>         - agno = 0
>>         - agno = 1
>>         - agno = 2
>>         - agno = 3
>>         - process newly discovered inodes...
>> Phase 4 - check for duplicate blocks...
>>         - setting up duplicate extent list...
>>         - check for inodes claiming duplicate blocks...
>>         - agno = 0
>>         - agno = 1
>>         - agno = 2
>>         - agno = 3
>> No modify flag set, skipping phase 5
>> Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
>>         - traversing filesystem ...
>>         - traversal finished ...
>>         - moving disconnected inodes to lost+found ...
>> disconnected inode 132, would move to lost+found
>> disconnected inode 133, would move to lost+found
>> Phase 7 - verify link counts...
>> No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting.
>> ---
>> Given how trivial test xfs/261 is, it seems like created private mtab files
>> that also get unlinked don't get added to AGI unlinked list before umount.
>> I didn't have a detailed look whether that's possible or not and probably
>> won't get to it before Christmas. So I'm sending this just in case someone
>> more knowledgeable has ideas earlier...
>
> I don't see that here. If you mount/unmount the filesystem, does the
> warning go away? i.e. xfs_repair -n ignores the contents of
> the log, so if the unlinked list transactions are in the log then
> log recovery will make everything good again.
>
> That said, if unmount is not leaving the log clean, then we've still
> got an issue we need to get to the bottom of.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.

I've seen this but seemingly only on v4-superblock XFS and only with Dave's
xfsprogs RFC libxfs patches applied.  [Nice patchset, BTW.]  Will `git pull`
everything again, then take it home to the x86 dungeon and test it again.

Good luck!

Michael