Re: easily reproducible filesystem crash on rebuilding array

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: easily reproducible filesystem crash on rebuilding array
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 13:07:15 +0100
Le Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:39:36 +0100
Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Ãcrivait:

> What happens: while the array is rebuilding, simultaneously reading
> and writing is a sure way to break the filesystem and at times,
> corrupt data.

I've rerun the same test (heavy read/write IO while rebuilding) with
disk drives write cache off (that is RAID controller is running
in write-back mode, but the independant disks caches are set to
write-through).

The filesystem went corrupted too, however much less than previously:
it went back up online after a umount/mount cycle. Nothing at all
appears in xfs_repair output. However the IO error is weird as the RAID
controller reported no such error.

Dec 12 00:40:18 TEST-ADAPTEC kernel: XFS (dm-0): xfs_do_force_shutdown(0x1)
called from line 383 of file fs/xfs/xfs_trans_buf.c.  Return address =
0xffffffff8125cc90
Dec 12 00:40:31 TEST-ADAPTEC kernel: XFS (dm-0): xfs_log_force: error 5
returned.
Dec 12 00:41:02 TEST-ADAPTEC kernel: XFS (dm-0): xfs_log_force: error 5
returned.

Still investigating...