Re: EIO and data corruption on XFS file system

To: GuangYang <yguang11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: EIO and data corruption on XFS file system
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 15:27:41 +0100
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Le Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:03:45 +0000
GuangYang <yguang11@xxxxxxxxxxx> Ãcrivait:

> Hello,While working on the storage system, I got one question in
> terms of the XFS utilities to fix file system corruption. Basically,
> our storage system put 3 copies of data and the system would detect
> data inconsistency on regular basis, there are two patterns we
> observed so far: 1) the data is corrupted which result in an EIO, 2)
> data is still accessible but the content is changed. I am wondering
> the way to fix such issues from file system's perspective, do we
> expect hardware failure for both cases or some xfs repairing tools
> could help for such case?

XFS relies on the underlying hardware to maintain data integrity. The
latest XFS version comes with metadata checksums, which allows
correcting invalid data in filesystem structures, but not data.

Generally speaking, if the data is corrupted because of faulty hardware,
xfs_repair can't help.

regards,