Re: Kernel crashes with trace ending in XFS code on RHEL6 variant kernel

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel crashes with trace ending in XFS code on RHEL6 variant kernel
From: Jan Kokoska <jan@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:00:02 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject :from:to:cc:content-type; bh=eZXZP/l1f9gy5CfRLAbrPhM/XcZSwdnY8h5aPjxFSFA=; b=lU0TGhJjew5dbwC8v2WANmDe7ZLvtPM8J08EtOw936jTuE+dUAbcngi4WV8AkuTlAH qF4uy1/Dn+3fa9PJ2BNOIbeuQdP4tnu0zm1OYaQBvFrw+wCo6XO5jO/zBIlb+KGx8lBO 1iJmLTKNg+HziSyXnA5McA6Iw2Hg+2Jp0uw4laX2IcaKr8IDDfscDJciorW5a8aoK0tC g9E23yjLMxAGWxFoLBNwQcbIfYIDXoJNI+V9TuNasutQwDXVcMHp09cAT12fVN1sU/4I lfnkFmOiJhJDjwt+7pL96Nbf/qgO1+MB/76fsiRbYPCfZAIS4LHw71I3AkgV9MCV2/9O YM+g==
Sender: jan.kokoska@xxxxxxxxx
Hi Eric,

On 28 October 2014 18:42, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/28/14 10:38 AM, Jan Kokoska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running OpenVZ (OS container) kernel variant of RHEL6 kernel on

... for which we have no source code? ;)

Right, I'm sorry, the source code patch on vanilla kernel is linked from
and
for the two kernel versions.

xfs.aops.c differs a bit between the older and the newer version (released 6 months apart), but both kernels crash.Â

1031,1032c1031,1034
< * Just skip the page if it is fully outside i_size, e.g. due
< * to a truncate operation that is in progress.
---
> * Skip the page if it is fully outside i_size, e.g. due to a
> * truncate operation that is in progress. We must redirty the
> * page so that reclaim stops reclaiming it. Otherwise
> * xfs_vm_releasepage() is called on it and gets confused.
1034,1037c1036,1037
< if (page->index >= end_index + 1 || offset_into_page == 0) {
< unlock_page(page);
< return 0;
< }
---
> if (page->index >= end_index + 1 || offset_into_page == 0)
> goto redirty;

OpenVZ devs unfortunately don't publish their git tree anymore.

I don't know what's in "2.6.32-openvz-amd64" so can't help much.

What is at line 86 of xfs_aops.c in that kernel?

Stefan is right in that it's the line
bh = head = page_buffers(page);
fromÂ
xfs_count_page_state()

Eric, thanks for the pointer toÂef5d437f71afdf4afdbab99213add99f4b1318fd, I'll raise it with OpenVZ devs or with RHEL so the bug trickles downstream to OpenVZ. I simply didn't know how much difference there may be between XFS parts of the kernel trees that you maintain and that are e.g. in RHEL and thought it could be a generally occurring bug. Also wanted to get in touch with the mailing list as I've been using XFS mostly happily for a decade.

Jan

-Eric