Re: Can't build RPM of xfstests

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kaul, Yaniv" <Yaniv.Kaul@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can't build RPM of xfstests
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 22:35:47 -0500
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, fstests@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, esandeen@xxxxxxxxxx
On 10/19/14 8:47 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> [ cc fstests@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]

>> === rpm ===
>> /bin/sed -e's|@pkg_name@|xfstests|g' \
>>          -e's|@pkg_version@|1.1.1|g' \
>>          -e's|@pkg_release@|1|g' \
>>          -e's|@pkg_distribution@|Linux|g' \
>>          -e's|@build_root@|/tmp/34943|g' \
>>          -e'/^BuildRoot: *$/d' \
>>          -e's|@make@|/usr/bin/gmake|g' < xfstests.spec.in > xfstests.spec
>> /usr/bin/rpmbuild -ba --rcfile ./rpm-4.rc xfstests.spec
>> error: File /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/xfstests-1.1.1.src.tar.gz: No such file
>> or directory
>> gmake[1]: *** [dist] Error 1
>
> I've never tried to build xfstests packages, so I'd make the
> assumption that the package build infrastructure is broken and needs
> fixing.  That's looking for the tarball in the wrong place. My naive
> reading of that is rpmbuild is expecting to run as root, not as a
> jenkins user....
>
> Eric, you're the local RPM expert - any ideas?
>
> FWIW, I'll take whatever patches you guys come up with that make it
> build rpms properly. ;)

xfstests rpms have just never been a priority for me.  I run it just fine out
of a checked-out git repo, and it doesn't require installation; on the other
hand, making it palatable for a proper FHS-compliant distro package would
require a fair bit of restructuring beyond just the packaging scripts.

And... I honestly have no idea how the Makepkgs stuff is supposed to work.

I've never been a fan of upstream containing packaging bits anyway; different
distros have different requirements, and the Makepkgs script has always seemed
weird.  RPM/specfiles are supposed to drive the build - the build isn't supposed
to drive rpm.  I think it'd be best to make a distro-specific specfile which
knows how
to handle an xfstests tarball.  Trying to reverse engineer Makepkgs doesn't
sound
fun to me; rpmbuild knows how to do this stuff.  Dropping a generic RPM specfile
into the top level dir would probably be enough to get it off the ground even if
it doesn't conform to any particular distro's packaging rules.

I think it's up to those who want rpms to dig into this, for now.  Dumping all
files into /opt/xfstests is probably simplest, since FHS-compliance is probably
long ways off.

-Eric