Re: Corrupted file system

To: Diane Trout <diane@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Sean Caron <scaron@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Corrupted file system
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:12:33 -0500
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 9/23/14 5:29 PM, Diane Trout wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes, I had my doubts about that there's anything reasonable one could do
> after
> part of the file system was randomized. I'll trying updating to xfsprogs
> 3.2.1
> and see if that does any better.

Yes - you didn't mention which version you used, but I'd definitely try
something
current.  The bug rings a bell, maybe fixed now.

To be safe, you can always make an xfs_metadump image (use -o to not obfuscate
filenames for convenience), xfs_mdrestore that, and point repair at that fs
image.
Then you'll see what it *would* do before you *do* do.  ;)

But yeah, depending on the damage done to the storage, you may be in trouble
that repair can't help with.  Depends on the failure, though.

-Eric