Re: Run out of inodes?

To: Samuel Granjeaud <samuel.granjeaud@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Run out of inodes?
From: Brian Foster <bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 07:48:06 -0400
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:08:08PM +0200, Samuel Granjeaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if the answer is obvious, but I didn't find any clear answer after
> googling.
>
> I have a XFS system of 18T over LVM. Recently, I could not create new files
> or directories.
>
> # mkdir tempo
> mkdir: cannot create directory `tempo': No space left on device
>
> After deleting a few files, this command runs successfully.
>
> So I think that the system runs out of something, inodes I guess.
>
> But the df diagnosis does not enlight it: only 1% used.
>
> # df -ht xfs
> /dev/mapper/vg1_backup-backup
>                        18T   12T  6.6T  63% /mnt/vg1_backup/backup
> # df -it xfs
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/vg1_backup-backup
>                      18874040320  530042 18873510278    1%
> /mnt/vg1_backup/backup
>
> So what is wrong? How should I solve the problem?
>
> I read about xfs_grow -m, but I am not sure if it could help.
> Of course, I rebooted the system before my trials.

You should probably include more information for context:

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

That aside... is inode64 enabled? Is imaxpct set to a non-default value?
Also, how is this filesystem used? I notice it's named as some kind of
backup volume.

Brian