Re: [RFD]: Help in setting up XFS

To: Prithvi Rathore <prithvi_rathore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFD]: Help in setting up XFS
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 23:11:48 +1000
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 03:00:31PM +0530, Prithvi Rathore wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>    I really appreciate you help in this matter.
>
> > Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:03:12 +1000
> > From: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To: prithvi_rathore@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > CC: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: [RFD]: Help in setting up XFS
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:22:37AM +0530, Prithvi Rathore wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > As the subject states, I would like to setup and use XFS on an external
> > > USB drive. I am currently using Ubuntu 14.04 on MacBook Air 2013.
> > > My understanding is:
> > >
> > > 1) I will have to install the packages
> > > $ sudo apt-get install xfsprogs
> > > $ sudo apt-get install xfsdump
> > >
> > > 2) I will have to create the filesystem for the USB drive
> > > $ mkfs.xfs -f dev/sdab1
> > > -f option needed to overwrite any existing filesytem
>
> > And then mount it appropriately and it will be ready to use.
> > Nothing more.
>
> About the part where you say mount it properly, I just wanted to check if
> this is correct.
>
> 1)Create a mount point.
>     $ mkdir /mnt/dat1
>
> 2)Mount the drive.
>    $ mount -t xfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt/dat1

mount will work out that it contains XFS and do the right thing
automatically. i.e. this should work just fine:

    $ mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/dat1

Look in dmesg to see what happens at the kernel level when you run
the command, and compare the difference with and without the "-t
xfs"....

> And i will have to do this every time I want to use the pendrive

Only the mount command. the mount point won't go away unless you
remove it.

Cheers,

Dave.
--