RE: [RFD]: Help in setting up XFS

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RFD]: Help in setting up XFS
From: Prithvi Rathore <prithvi_rathore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:00:31 +0530
Hi Dave,
   I really appreciate you help in this matter.

> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:03:12 +1000
> From: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: prithvi_rathore@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [RFD]: Help in setting up XFS
>
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:22:37AM +0530, Prithvi Rathore wrote:
> > Hi,
> > As the subject states, I would like to setup and use XFS on an external USB drive. I am currently using Ubuntu 14.04 on MacBook Air 2013.
> > My understanding is:
> >
> > 1) I will have to install the packages
> > $ sudo apt-get install xfsprogs
> > $ sudo apt-get install xfsdump
> >
> > 2) I will have to create the filesystem for the USB drive
> > $ mkfs.xfs -f dev/sdab1
> > -f option needed to overwrite any existing filesytem

> And then mount it appropriately and it will be ready to use.
> Nothing more.

About the part where you say mount it properly, I just wanted to check if this is correct.

1)Create a mount point.
    $ mkdir /mnt/dat1

2)Mount the drive.
   $ mount -t xfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt/dat1

And i will have to do this every time I want to use the pendrive

Warm Regards,
Prithvi