Re: Is jdm_delete_filehandle part of a public API?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Is jdm_delete_filehandle part of a public API?
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:46:55 +1000
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:31:43PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> I was cleaning up xfsprogs to plug some leaks, and wanted to use
> jdm_delete_filehandle().  I noticed that it has an "hlen" argument which
> is unused.
>
> Can we remove that, or is this part of a public API?  It's not in any
> manpage (or even called anywhere in xfsprogs/xfstests/xfsdump/dmapi)
> but it is in a public header...

Which means it is part of the published API, regardless of whether
it is documented in the man page or not.

As it is, we've never really cared about ABI stability for these
libraries - I don't think we've ever guaranteed stability in any
way. If you want to change it, though, I suspect we'll need to bump
the library version....

Cheers,

Dave.
--