Re: v0.80.4 Firefly released

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Samuel Just <sam.just@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: v0.80.4 Firefly released
From: Gregory Farnum <gregory.farnum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:26:23 -0700
Cc: Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:22 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 04:45:59PM -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
>> This Firefly point release fixes an potential data corruption problem
>> when ceph-osd daemons run on top of XFS and service Firefly librbd
>> clients.  A recently added allocation hint that RBD utilizes triggers
>> an XFS bug on some kernels (Linux 3.2, and likely others) that leads
>> to data corruption and deep-scrub errors (and inconsistent PGs).  This
>> release avoids the situation by disabling the allocation hint until we
>> can validate which kernels are affected and/or are known to be safe to
>> use the hint on.
>
> I've not really seen an report for that on the XFS list, could it be
> that you're running into the issue fixed by
>
>  "xfs: Use preallocation for inodes with extsz hints"
>
> (commit aff3a9edb7080f69f07fe76a8bd089b3dfa4cb5d)?

Sam reported the issue we're seeing in "consequences of
XFS_IOC_FSSETXATTR on non-empty file?", but didn't have it narrowed
down very far. I think he's trying to get a minimal reproducer and
identify as much as he can right now, but he's also trying to get out
the door for a vacation. :)

But yes, looking at the patch description that sounds about right.
-Greg