consequences of XFS_IOC_FSSETXATTR on non-empty file?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, "ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ilya Dryomov <ilya.dryomov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: consequences of XFS_IOC_FSSETXATTR on non-empty file?
From: Samuel Just <sam.just@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 18:16:54 -0700
Hi,

We are seeing reports of ceph-osd stores on xfs of files with some
garbage data (possibly misplaced from data elsewhere in the
filesystem).  There was a bug for a while where the ceph-osd process
would set a value for fsx_extsize on a non-empty (possibly sparse)
file using XFS_IOC_FSSETXATTR.  Could that plausibly result in a file
with garbage data?  Let me know if there is any additional information
or detail which might be valuable.  One report was on kernel versions
3.14.3 and 3.14.4.
-Sam