Re: Null pointer dereference while at ACL limit on v5 XFS

To: "Michael L. Semon" <mlsemon35@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Null pointer dereference while at ACL limit on v5 XFS
From: Mark Tinguely <tinguely@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:31:58 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 06/23/14 22:34, Michael L. Semon wrote:
On 06/23/2014 06:13 PM, Mark Tinguely wrote:
On 06/23/14 17:08, Mark Tinguely wrote:
On 06/23/14 16:48, Michael L. Semon wrote:
At the ACL limit of v5-superblock XFS--with a directory filled with
both default
and access ACL entries--I'm getting a null pointer dereference on x86
after
creating the directory successfully.

Disclaimer: There's some current issues on 32-bit x86 that, for
instance, can
make badblocks see phantom bad blocks on a read test. My apologies in
advance
if this turns out to be a false alarm bug report.

My first encounter with this issue involved fsstress. Here's part of a
`crash`
session from the fsstress run.

root@oldsvrhw:/mnt/crashdump/xfs-fsstress-max-acl-2# crash vmlinux
System.map vmcore
crash 7.0.4
Thanks!

Michael

Michael, do you have the vmcore dump for this or was this just from the
messages.

Thanks.

--Mark.

ummm, duh me. you were running crash ...

Can I look at the core?

--Mark.

Sure!  I've uploaded two sets of core dumps (vmcore, vmlinux, System.map,
config, sample crash session) and put them here for a short time:

Both are buffer - like your trace shows that is was updating on the AIL and it really is but in both crashes the log item ail next link has been NULLed:

xfs-fsstress-max-acl-2:
crash> xfs_buf_log_item dde37370
struct xfs_buf_log_item {
  bli_item = {