Re: Metadata CRC error upon unclean unmount

To: Fanael Linithien <fanael4@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Metadata CRC error upon unclean unmount
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:24:43 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> Do you have any kind of reproducer for this?
>
> The closest thing to a reliable reproducer I found is:
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=some.file
> <VM reset while dd is still running>
>
>> Any chance you created an xfs_metadump before the xfs_repair?
>
> I still have the broken FS, but the dump is 225 MB. Will it be OK if I
> repro it on a clean FS?

absolutely, if you have a recipe starting at mkfs and ending with corruption,
that's even better.

>> What constitutes an "unclean unmount" in your case; a VM reset?  A host
>> crash?
>
> A VM reset.
>
>> (This is a VM, right?)
>
> Right.
>
>> What sort of block device configuration does it have?
>
> What do you mean?

Is the VM using a host block device or an image file?
What type of image file, VDI, QCOW, or?
If an image, what type of filesystem hosts the image?
Have you done any "VBoxManage storagectl"-type modifications to virtualbox
defaults?

Since this was a guest reset, not a host reset, it doesn't
matter as much, but it's worth getting the details I think.

Thanks,
-Eric