Re: XFS Repair hangs at inode repair in phase3

To: Dragon <Sunghost@xxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS Repair hangs at inode repair in phase3
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:15:33 -0500
On 6/24/14, 8:01 AM, Dragon wrote:

> Hello,
> i have a fresh install Debian Wheezy with software raid as md2 for my
> files. MD2 is nealry full of 8TB and i wanted to migrate the data to
> a newier system. While copy files i got an message that i have to run
> xfs_repair. I first run xfs_check but it eats up all my 11GB memory
> and the system stalls.

Yep, xfs_check doesn't scale and is on the way to deprecation.

> Then i run xfs_repair -n /dev/md2 but it hangs
> each time add: problem with directory contens in inode 2147997719 -
> would have cleared inode 2147997719. If i break this and restart, it
> hangs at the same position. System seems to do nothing over hours.

You might try the -P option to repair.

-P Disable prefetching of inode and directory blocks. Use this option if you
find xfs_repair gets stuck and stops proceeding.

If that works, it likely indicates a bug, but it might get you going.

> Some Infos:
> xfsprogs in Version 3.1.7+b1

And that's a 3-year old xfsprogs, so an upgrade might help, too.

-Eric