Re: [RFC 00/32] making inode time stamps y2038 ready

To: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/32] making inode time stamps y2038 ready
From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:33:10 +0000
Cc: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@xxxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-arch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <john.stultz@xxxxxxxxxx>, <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lftan@xxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <coda@xxxxxxxxxx>, <codalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <fuse-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-afs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-btrfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-cifs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-f2fs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-mtd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-ntfs-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <logfs@xxxxxxxxx>, <ocfs2-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <reiserfs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <samba-technical@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: Joseph Myers <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, 3 Jun 2014, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> I think John Stultz and Thomas Gleixner have already started looking
> at how the timekeeping code can be updated. Once that is done, we should
> be able to add a functional 64-bit gettimeofday/settimeofday syscall
> pair. While I definitely agree this is one of the most basic things to
> have, it's also not an area of the kernel that is easy to change.

64-bit clock_gettime / clock_settime instead of gettimeofday /
settimeofday should avoid the need for the kernel to have a 64-bit version
of struct timeval.  (Userspace 64-bit gettimeofday / settimeofday would
need to use a combination of the syscalls if the tz pointer is non-NULL.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx